Monday, February 06, 2012

my own version of Chop Suey

Since some ingredients are unavailable at my nearest supermarket, here's my version:
Ingredients: 
1.) Quail's eggs (boiled)
2.) 3 tbsp. oyster sauce
3.) 1/4 kilo shrimp
4.) 1 pc. broccoli
5.) 2 tbsp. cornstarch (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
6.) 1 pc. bell pepper
7.) 1/4 kilo chicken
8.) 1/2 onion, diced
9.) 5 cloves of garlic, minced
10.) 1 pc. carrot, sliced thinly
11.) 1/4 cabbage, cut into squares
*Not in photo: 2 cups of water, salt and pepper, and 2 tbsp. cooking oil. 

Preparation:
1. Sauté garlic, then the onions 
2. Add chicken, sauté for 5 minutes. 
3. Add 1 cup water, pinch of salt and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
4. Add the shrimp (simmer for 3 minutes)
5. Add the remaining 1 cup of water, and the oyster sauce
6. Add all veggies (in this order: broccoli, carrots, cabbage and bell pepper). Cook for 5 minutes. 
7. Pour the dissolved cornstarch. Add the quail's eggs and mix until veggies are done.
8. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. 

And the finished product.
In my many attempts at cooking this year, Chop Suey is my favorite for the sole reason that I thought I would never learn how to cook it. I have completely underestimated my culinary skills in the past that I don't even attempt cooking (except for the simple fry) for fear of not achieving the desired result. 

Thanks to the internet (esp. YouTube) for making cooking easy.

No comments: