Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Cebu Tales #02 Changes

I have observed that my Queen has changed a lot. In my absence of approximately 1 and 1/2 years as a TTE (minus the fleeting stay of some weeks), a lot of MAJOR improvements (and some setbacks to go along with it) are noticeable. Investors have agreed that SHE is blooming and now, they are spreading offices like wildfire. The setbacks I'm referring would be the anomalies and controversies that came along with it. Most especially, those projects sponsored and funded by the local government. And some not-so-important ones but in some way are helping our society.

To name a few...

-Building infrastructures are visibly constructed and currently (most are) work-in-progress within Asiatown I.T. park and Cebu Business park areas. Real good news for our ever-increasing newly graduates.

-Did I mention Malls are expanding and have expanded? Another good news for the newly grads and the unemployed.

-Koreans are everywhere. They are taking advantage of the cheap perks of Cebu (that's according to their standard). I know their presence are practically helping the government and business establishments. And they are not probably crowding only in Cebu..I saw a LOT of them in Bora...and only God knows on the rest of the islands.

-CDs are getting much more affordable! This is the Philippines' way of fighting piracy and those free mp3 internet downloads. A 550php newly released CD before...now costs 350php (check Maroon 5's new album). Don't put your hopes too high though and consider this marketing concept a success because I don't think people will throw their old habit of patronizing pirated copies that easy. They (pirated copies) are irresistible!! **I am not promoting piracy and never been a first-hand patron (Liar!!?!)..I borrow them..and browse them..accidentally..on the net. Ok, I am a law-bender..So sue me?! I am not alone..we're talking millions here..** Good news though, I did buy an original OPM CD. Unless the original ones are priced as the pirated ones..I guarantee that you will find me queuing record stores as soon as it takes effect.

-Some of the Queen's sidewalks are still not considered sidewalks if we're talking about global standards here. Case in point: If anyone had passed by TESDA (near I.T. park), one (esp. first time passers-by) would confuse 'the sidewalk' as the drainage or was it merged with it?!? Like multi-purpose?! Really, one would exert extra care from passing vehicles and at the same time avoid the drainage.


Others remain unchanged. The familiar hot weather. Videoke overheard somewhere (even during unholy hours). The wide-smile on people's faces amidst tribulations. Koreanovelas and telenovelas that reign the primetime of every TV local channel which I sometimes find annoying BUT they brought happiness and comfort to weary Pinoys after a day's work...then so be it!

And some...really needs some change...

1 comment:

lainee said...

yeah, koreans are everywhere. they have this school or something on the 2nd floor of the building where our office is located. nagbaha na jud sila, kada lingi sa mall, naay mga koreans.
and yeah, I think they're all over the country na pod. hasta sa Dumaguete nagbaha! hehe...
I agree, there were really a lot of changes when I went home for vacay. it felt kinda alienating. pero i was amazed at how so much could change (and improve, thankfully) in just year...