Monday, August 02, 2010

Ulsan files #1 Dae Wang Am

I tried goggle-ing it but found nothing. Nobody bothered to make a Wiki page for such an awesome place?!

Anyway, I managed to get a shot of its bulletin information but I'll just type it here for the benefit of those who have poor eyesight. (I know the small fonts are not helping but i love small fonts..sorry =P)
"King Munmu, the 30th King of the Silla Dynasty....was buried under a great rock in the East Sea in accordance with his will and sublimated into the guardian dragon of the kingdom. People, therefore, call the rock "Dae-wang Am, and it is located in Yangbuk-myun, Kyongju."
So, the place i went to yesterday was not in Kyongju (Kyongju is not in Ulsan, but it's not that far from here). They call this place Dae-Wang Am because..
"Meanwhile, the spirit of the Queen also became a guardian dragon of the kingdom after she died since she could not forget her husband's noble will. Later the dragon flew to Ulsan and submerged herself under this rock right here to protect the East Sea. People began to call this rock 'Dae-wang Am' and it is told that seaweed does not grow around this rock because of the dragon."
-----
From here on, I'll be sharing Ulsan adventures in numbered file posts. Just one of the amazing things a bum is capable of doing.

4 comments:

Nashe^ said...

I haven't been to any places like that. Wish I could!

The Demigoddess said...

How cute are those umbrellas!?

alaine said...

First of all, I'm jealous that you're a bum haha! Will follow that path soon.
Anyway, you always travel by yourself lang mor? I feel like going backpacking somewhere.

amor said...

@nashe, i was blown away (literally as well) by the time i saw the scenery before me.

@angel. it's as if they mutually agreed to use multi-colored umbrellas.

@laine, It pays to take some time off from work but there are days I miss work. (esp. wearing pumps, lolz). I sometimes travel alone; for farther places, I always wait for weekends or holidays to do it with hubby.